Thursday, March 28, 2013

RCCI Party

Today was the RCCI party and this was a very exciting and rewarding event because I got to spend more personal time with the kids. Most days that we meet with the RCCI group the boys and girls are normally separate so I only really got the chance to hang out with the girls and I didn't really get to see the boys and talk to them or play with them. I worked collaboratively with my group mates to plan and initiate this event and helped to buy/serve food and set up the sitting/dancing area for the kids. Before they arrived we set up the tables and chairs for the food and moved the tables out of the way for the dance. When the kids arrived they seemed very excited but shy to dance. This helped me to consider ethical implications with the kids and dancing because I realized that some of the children were very shy or weren't used to dancing in the same style that I or most of my group mates would. I realized that even though there was a bit of a gap in communications, I tried to make up for it in dancing and laughing and having a good time. Normally I'm very shy about dancing in public and especially around people I don't know because I am probably the worlds worst dancer but for me this helped me to undertake a new challenge and helped to push me out of my comfort zone. I started dancing with the kids despite my embarrassment and lack of skill and I encourage them as well as others to dance and have a nice time.


















The one thing that everyone seems to have in common is they like to have a good time and dancing is a good way to share that common ground. Most of the kids warmed up to us and started to dance more and laugh and socialize with each other. There was one little boy that I was dancing with that would try to mimic me, I saw him having so much fun and laughing that it made me feel accomplished because I had made his time there a bit better because he had someone to dance with. The little things like that is what makes me love doing service like this. I love kids and I love to have fun and help them and put smiles on their faces, even if it means I have to look silly for a while.




Overall it was a very rewarding experience and as usual it was my favorite part of CAS. Spending time with the kids and letting them have a good time and be able to come here and have a carefree time and just dance and laugh is a great experience and I look forward to doing more events like this in the future because I think it's one of the things that I have the most fun doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment