Saturday, March 23, 2013

Creative Writing 2: I Am The Doctor

It has been a while since I last posted a creative writing piece because it has taken a long time to actually sit down and write something that is substantial. In the past weeks I had planned and initiated times to sit and work on my writing and I had actually started a couple of small pieces but it wasn't what I wanted to really write. I liked the prompts but I felt like they didn't show my skills in writing. I decided to make my own prompt for a poem about the popular television show Doctor Who. Doctor who is a British science fiction about a time traveller (also known as a Time Lord or "the Doctor") that travels throughout time and space in order to save the world from various disasters caused by aliens and other lifeforms unknown to mankind. This piece is a poem about the Doctor and Rose (his human companion who he falls in love with). I wanted to write the poem in Rose's voice and try to portray her thoughts and feelings. Although it is just a TV show, it's more meaningful to me than just an entertaining show. I have written this poem about a specific topic in order to show perseverance with my writing and help me to push myself out of my comfort zone and develop new skills based on the areas I felt needed improvement.

This is one of my longest poems I've written. It is about 60 lines and is 10 stanzas long.



                                                    Rose and the Doctor (Source: tumblr.com)

      I’m The Doctor

Waiting within the shadows in places time has forgotten
I’ve been waiting to see the sun for so long
wishing to see you in the light of the dawn
Underneath it’s golden glow you radiate, a sight like no other
With eyes that burn bright like stars you draw me in deeper and deeper
Oxygen fills my lungs and I come to life again

I open the doors and thrust my hand out into the black
Squeezing at the darkness hoping to find something
A vast galaxy waiting to be explored
Shadows surround me and I sink deeper inside
I’ll wait until I see the glow of the sun again
I am nothing… just defeated by the darkness

A child, born from darkness and light, finds me here
The Lonely Angel* strays and makes his way into my darkness
He hides here with me deep in the shadows
We talk but can’t see… we laugh but can’t hear
The shadows have taken this place over
But the light begins to break through and shines under my door

Where are we going now?
As we’re shooting across the galaxy, machines buzzing
clocks roll backwards and forwards as we hit every constellation
as if we were connecting dots in the sky, trying to map out a trail
We attempt to read them and understand their meaning
So many shapes to be formed but the lines can’t be drawn

So many messages to be written but the words can’t be found
I gather all my things and throw them back in the TARDIS*
These walls wrap around us like a fortress and protect us from darkness
The walls breathe and think for us, they allow us to speak
Our voices are hoarse from not being used for so long
Our fingers are numb because they haven’t felt for centuries

We fly suspended in time until we land in a new world
until we open the doors and walk on soil older than we are
We fly all over the galaxy like we’ve done it a thousand times before
But at the end of the day we still don’t know what lies beyond those doors
A doctor, a great traveller, you fixed this heart
When all my pieces were scattered across the universe

you travelled back in time, orbiting around a black hole to retrieve them
You always came when I called and gave me care that I’ve never known
I took comfort in these great big walls; this blue box* will become my home
because life outside still remains a mystery as we fly across this…
wibbly wobbly… timey wimey…stuff
Legs shake as we have our first dance across time

We travel in and out of time and space itself, falling through the cracks
I want to travel across the skies but I only want to travel with you
I want to connect the stars and read you their meaning,
catch every one and give them all to you
because you are my light in this dark time and I don’t have much
but these small suns I pick up along the way I’ll gladly give to you

Because you’re my doctor
and you make me better… you make me want to change
I want to wake up every morning in the sky and ask where we’ll go today
I trust you always and completely, my life now lies in your hands
Wherever you travel I want to be by your side
Whenever you fight I will fight right next to you

Because there is no time that we can’t find,
no space in which darkness can hide,
no galaxy that is too complex or to wide,
nor a crack in the universe that can keep me from your side
I will travel through time and space if it means I can see you tonight
If I can hold you in my arms and tell you that everything will be all right


1. The Lonely Angel - the name they give the Doctor 
2. TARDIS - Time and Relative Dimension in Space (time machine)
3. The blue box - the TARDIS that is in the form of a blue police box 


TARDIS  (Source: wikipedia.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment